Select Page

Entry Requirements To Study In Australia

Entry Requirements To Study In Australia

There are different entry requirements needed to start studying in Australia. This will usually depend on the course you intend to study and the course provider.

However, there are general entry requirements that will usually be applicable to most students and it is important to be aware of them so you can correctly satisfy those requirements.

First – Choose The Right Course & Institution

Before you get to thinking about the entry requirements for your course and how to meet them, you need to first choose the right course and the best higher institution to study in Australia.

There are a variety of course fields to choose from. The most popular course areas are:

  • Management
  • Education
  • Business  
  • Accounting
  • Informatics 
  • Engineering
  • Health
  • Hospitality

There are a number of good higher institutions in Australia to choose from as well. Here are some of them:

  • TAFE
  • University of Sydney
  • University of New South Wales
  • UTS
  • University of Melbourne
  • University of Queensland
  • RMIT University
  • University of Adelaide
  • Southern Cross University

Here is a general guidance on the academic entry requirements for the different qualification levels of study in Australian schools and Higher institutions:

Entry requirements vary depending on the provider and level of qualification to be attained.

English Language Courses

The entry requirements for English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) will vary depending on the education provider and the level of English language qualification you want to attain.

It will also vary depending on your educational background, country of origin and whether you have beginner or advanced level of English language skills.

International students in Australia who intend to study an ELICOS course are required to study full time. It is recommended that you check the entry requirements with the institution of your choice.

It is recommended that you check the entry requirements with the institution of your choice.

Primary & Secondary (High) Schools

The academic entry requirements for primary and secondary school vary across the different states and territories of Australia as well as the different schools.

The things that are taken into consideration include the academic record or ability of the student and in some cases the sporting achievement and other extracurricular accomplishments are also considered.

The school will be able to determine the right entry level for the student after a proper assessment of their academic ability, which might include some form of testing.

Search for courses you are interested in.

Vocational Education & Training (VET)

The first step is to search for the course for courses that actually interest you.  

Once you’ve done your research to identify the courses that you are interested in you should check the eligibility requirements or admissions requirements for those courses.

This gives you an idea if you’d be able to get admission for that particular course in the first place.  

Once you are able to identify the courses of your choice and eligibility, start researching and making enquiries about the scholarships that are available for those courses.

Higher Education – Undergraduate

You must have the Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12) or its overseas equivalent or a diploma or advanced diploma to get entry into a higher education undergraduate course.

Do note that Honours Bachelor degrees may require an additional (optional) year of study.

This usually involves research studies after completing a three-year degree or it may be awarded for academic achievement for a period of four or more years.

Higher Education – Postgraduate

Postgraduate qualifications in Australia include – Graduate Certificates or Diplomas, Masters Degree and Doctoral Degree.

The basic entry requirement here is usually the completion of an undergraduate level degree or an advanced diploma in some cases.

Each education provider will have different entry requirements, so it’s important to contact individual providers to check with them.

An important Tip

To meet the academic requirements of having an Australian high school qualification, consider taking a Foundation course.

They are also called bridging study and they are intensive courses that will help you meet the entry requirements.

They are usually last for one year and are offered by most higher education institutions.

Visa Requirements

In addition to gaining admission to study your chosen course from the education provider, you must also have a student visa to enter into Australia to undertake that study.

The general visa requirements you need to meet are:

You need to be issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.

  • You must meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.
  • You must have sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
  • You must have the right English language proficiency.
  • You must meet the health and character requirements.
  • You must also have an acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

See this post on How To Get An Australian Student Visa for more information.

Overseas Student Health Cover Requirement (OSHC)

The OSHC is a compulsory health insurance required from international students studying in Australia.

It is an insurance product that basically gives international students a level of insurance coverage that is based on the Australian Medicare system.

Students can arrange to pay for their OSHC through their educational institution or they can choose their own OSHC provider even when their educational institution makes a specific recommendation because they have negotiated a preferred provider arrangement with a particular insurer.

It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency.

When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you, before you arrive.

It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

YouEnrol is also able to help and advice you about your specific entry requirements.

Do not hesitate to book an appointment with us for a free no obligation discussion where we help you to get started on your journey to studying in Australia the right way.

Request A Free, No Obligation Consultation

Comment And Share

That’s it – hope you enjoyed the article!

If you liked it, we would really appreciate it if you can share it using one of the social sharing icons below.

Also, leave us a comment and let us know what you think – We love hearing from our readers, so we are looking forward to chatting with you in the comments below.

[et_bloom_inline optin_id="optin_2"]


About The Author


YouEnrol is a unique consulting service that offers a single touch point when it comes to studying, living and working in Australia. We are a one-stop independent service provider providing a range of solutions to prospective international students and their families.